Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Transition and Adapting to a New (and Happier) Normal

Last week, I received three different invitations to speak at three different events on various topics. At first, I thought I was being invited because the conference coordinators had gotten wind about my book coming out this summer and that they were inviting me to speak about the leadership insights I wrote about in the book. Generally, when I am invited to speak, the topics are leadership, customer service and lately, workplace bullying. However, this last call took me by surprise.

I was asked to speak to a group of seasoned executives who have recently been faced with job loss and/or in the midst of a career transition. Clearly, I thought he had called the wrong person. Why would you want me to speak about something that I am currently experiencing myself? Heck, I am still figuring it all out for myself!

As we discussed the topics of how transitioning and facing obstacles can lead you towards following your passion and greater opportunities in greater detail, it finally clicked. We discussed my move from Ohio to Texas a few years back. I had initially thought it was my dream job, only to find out that it was more like a nightmare which began and ended in less than two years. I will spare you all of the details but suffice it to say that the transition provided me with enough material to write several books on ineffective leadership and why it is important to start “doing the opposite”.

During the course of our conversation, I stated that my transitions have allowed me to learn that it is okay to adapt to a new normal, when he suddenly exclaimed, “That’s it!” “What’s it?” I asked. “That is the topic that we want you to talk to our group about. Adapting to a New Normal!” he replied.

Although the presentation is still a few months away, I have been thinking about how to structure my talk so that the message inspires and motivates the audience. Yes, I moved over 1,400 miles away from my family and friends (and certainly out of my comfort zone) for what I thought was greener pastures, but reflecting back, the move was a necessary part of my journey which is leading me down the path that I now follow.

Yes, it is hard to lose a job, but sometimes that loss is the vehicle needed to see and follow your true passions. Yes, I have met some wonderful people since moving to Texas and now I have an opportunity to realize that I need to get out and meet more to build my network and grow as a person and as a professional. Do I have regrets? The answer is NO! Do I miss the nice salary that afforded me the ability to vacation when I wanted, shop where I wanted and dine out as often as I wanted? Sometimes maybe, (wish I could have purchased that Tiffany’s bracelet I wanted the other day) but at the end of the day, when all is said and done, I am glad I am in a stage of transition where I am able to create and adapt to a new (and happier!) normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment